Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC) is one the easiest DDoS tools available, yet its simplicity and remote connection features make it an extremely effective tool. In this guide I will show you just how easy it is to launch a DoS attack using LOIC. For this exercise I used a Windows Server 2008 client with LOIC installed and a Windows 7 target with Wireshark for traffic capture.
1. First, we run the LOIC.exe file. Do not perform an in-depth installation; just run the executable.
2. Once you run the EXE, the program pops up and is ready for a quick configuration. Note that you can target a URL as well as a specific IP address. For our purposes just enter the IP of your Windows 7 box.
3. Click the Lock On button. The IP address shows up as the target; there is no doubt where this traffic is going.
4. Now that you have the IP input and target selected, you can configure a few more details for your attack preferences. For this exercise use port 80, the TCP method, 10000 threads, and the default TCP/UDP message, as shown here:
5. Before you hit the fire button, hop back over to your Windows 7 system and start Wireshark to see the traffic generated by LOIC.
6. Now you can fire your LOIC beam and view the traffic.