- Kerckhoffs’s principle, Wikipedia
This video explains how the RSA public key and private key are created to be fully dependent on each other. The first part of the video explains the concepts with paint and colors. The second part contains heavy duty math, which may not be as easily understood:
- Public Key Cryptography: RSA Encryption Algorithm (video), Art of the Problem (16:30)
- Watching this video may help you understand the XOR Activity in Section 3.3.
These links detail the Heartbleed bug from 2014. This vulnerability shows that even though data is protected both in transit and at rest with encryption, data that is being processed is not protected. The encrypted data needs to be decrypted before it’s processed, and therefore is vulnerable at this stage.
- Heartbleed, Wikipedia
- Heartbleed Explanation, xkcd
- Heartbleed, xkcd
- What should you do about “HeartBleed?,” LegacyTalk