Additional Resources for Week 2 RITx: CYBER501x Cybersecurity Fundamentals
- ‘Bob’ outsources tech job to China; watches cat videos at work, Jaikumar Vijayan, Computerworld
- 10 Reasons Why Biometrics Won’t Replace Passwords Anytime Soon, Tom, Dashlane
- NIST declares the age of SMS-based 2-factor authentication over, Devin Coldewey, TC’s Crunchboard
- NIST Denounces SMS 2FA – What are the Alternatives?, Kevin Townsend, Security Week
- Standards body warned SMS 2FA is insecure and nobody listened, Darren Pauli, The Register
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-067 – Critical: Vulnerability in Server Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (958644), Microsoft
- The Inside Story Behind MS08-067, John Lambert, Microsoft
- Squirrels outrank hackers as threat to U.S. electrical grid, Martin Anderson, The Stack
- Grid Confronts a Threat from Mother Nature, Matthew L. Wald, The New York Times
- Power grid cyber security ‘in chaos’ | State ponders ways to guard against attacks by humans as well as Mother Nature, Hartford Business Journal
The Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report
Each year, Verizon publishes its Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR), which lists and examines thousands of incidents from around the world. Verizon uses that data to create the Data Breach Digest, detailed case studies of cyber crimes that illustrate many of the common or emerging cyber threats.
You will use the Data Breach Digest to delve into a cybercrime case study for an activity in section 2.3.