LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon) – DOS attacking tool
Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC) is one the easiest DDoS tools available, yet its simplicity and remote connection features make it an extremely effective tool. In this guide I will show you just how easy it is to launch a DoS attack using LOIC. For this exercise I used a Windows Server 2008 client with LOIC installed and a Windows 7 target with Wireshark for traffic capture.
1. First, we run the LOIC.exe file. Do not perform an in-depth installation; just run the executable.
2. Once you run the EXE, the program pops up and is ready for a quick configuration. Note that you can target a URL as well as a specific IP address. For our purposes just enter the IP of your Windows 7 box.
3. Click the Lock On button. The IP address shows up as the target; there is no doubt where this traffic is going.
4. Now that you have the IP input and target selected, you can configure a few more details for your attack preferences. For this exercise use port 80, the TCP method, 10000 threads, and the default TCP/UDP message, as shown here:
5. Before you hit the fire button, hop back over to your Windows 7 system and start Wireshark to see the traffic generated by LOIC.
6. Now you can fire your LOIC beam and view the traffic.